[TenTec] Omni C on 17m

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni C on 17m
From: wlfuqu00@uky.edu (Bill Fuqua)
Date: Tue Aug 19 13:26:40 2003
       Interesting question. All radios put out spurs,harmonics, splatter
etc. It is a matter of level. An example; years ago I heard a lower
sideband signal on the upper part of 10 meters and waited for an ID.  It
was a local ham. I did a comparison of his real signal (on 10 meters but in
the more used area) and the other one  I was receiving. The spur was very
low in level compared to his real signal ( more than 60 db down).
       My next question was," is this signal an image or something from my
receiver or was it his transmitter?"
I changed receivers, he was rag chewing for some time, ( a boatanchor with
a completely different conversion scheme) and the signal was still there.
Yes, it was a spur but it was not one beyond the specs for that particular
transceiver (TS520).
       So the real question is what is the level of the spur in absolute
terms (dbm) and in relative terms when  compared to the real signal
(db).  This can only be done by measuring the signal levels at the antenna
connector into the constant impedance of a dummy load.
     A calibrated coupler with lots of attenuation and a general coverage
receiver would be a start. Just a simple capacitive coaxial coupler
calibrated at the various frequencies ( it would be frequency dependant)
would be a start. You don't have to have elaborate spectrum analyzers or
megabucks of test equipment to make fairly good measurements as long as you
have a calibrated signal generator such as an URM 25 or TS497 or HP606 or
anything similar that you can get at hamfest relatively cheap. Just don't
blow out your test receiver.

73
Bill wa4lav