[TenTec] Re: Opinions on vertical

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Opinions on vertical
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:08:36 +0000
<<As L. B. Cebik has modeled, vertical dipoles like the Gap do not benefit
from earth radials to any significant degree, and I do not have auxiliary
radials.  Just like a horizontal half wave dipole; a Vertical half wave
dipole is a complete antenna unto itself.>>

Lobe plots for vertical dipoles over perfect ground and average (typical) ground such as that found here in Illinois (See the Kraus W8JK Antenna books for example) show that while they differ in gain and angle, there would probably not be noticable difference i.e. the plots are similar enough that any improvement over average ground by the addition of a screen would probably not help that much, especially for a full sized vertical 1/2 w. center fed dipole. My point was that a screen always offers an improvement over extremely poor ground such as sand and the type found in arid desert where the gentleman with the vertical antenna question resides. This is why for example, the WWVH dipoles are on screens -- they are sited on poor sandy ground.
Further I would not be so quick to apply data, plots and calculations for test range full sized 1/2 w. center fed vertical dipoles at standard heights to the Gap, which is asymmetric, and physically small with a 40 meter loop, linear loading, stubs and capacitors (all depending on the band being operated), particularly on 80 meters. : )

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com