Re: [TenTec] Buying a New Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Buying a New Orion
From: "K Van Horn" <W7SV@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:05:19 -0600
Pete,

Great post. Your thoughts and mine about the Orion experience are very
similar. I think that many of the early "warts" have been eliminated by
TenTec and those that are still present have been reduced to the level of
"beauty marks" on the face of a beautiful model!

Are there things I would like to see done differently?  Sure! I would like
to see the main receiver retain all of its specs and be general coverage
also. I would like the sub receiver to be identical to the main general
coverage receiver(specs + roofing filters etc). I would like to see
PSK31/RTTY/Pactor/Clover modulation/demodulation built in to the radio so I
can just read the data on the radios display! Is this going to happen?
Probably not for a while, but...for the time being, I got everything that I
was told that I was going to get before I originally bought my Orion and
MORE. I got a free new Owners Manual (from the TenTec web site) and 25
improvements to the firmware with a number of NEW features that the radio
did not possess when I received it in June 2003. I contrast this experience
to my experience with my IC-756/IC-756PRO/IC-756PROII. In terms of cash
expended, my Orion 565AT experience has cost approximately $3900.00 LESS
than the Icom 756 update program cost me. These are not fantasy dollars, but
real hard cash greenbacks spent.....and in side by side receiver comparisons
on 80 Meter Phone the Orion hears signals that are completely inaudible in
the 756 and 775 series of radios (because the dsp NB and NR and the hardware
NB of the Orion work so much better than the respective functions of the 756
and 775 series of radios and because the internally generated noise in the
Orion is quieter than the internally generated noise within the 756 and 775
series). I am not knocking the Icom 756 series or 775 series of radios, they
delivered good performance considering when they were designed. Had I known
in advance that I would have to buy three of the 756 series to get the
latest model, I probably would not have bought in initially. However, Icom
did the right thing by improving their 756 series as better technology
became available. It will be very interesting to see how good the IC-7800 is
after it has been available for almost a year in the field. My expectations
have been forever changed since I have become accustomed to receiving a "new
radio" every month or so for free in the form of a free firmware update from
TenTec. This feature has also put a LOT of heat on the other Ham Radio
manufacturers in the world. It is going to be much more difficult from now
on to sell anyone a ham radio that does not have this feature!!

I did have to add one 10K pullup resistor to my Orion to make the external
rtty modem work in an open collector configuration(without altering the
internal jumpers in the modem which are set to also work with other radios
in the shack). So I have spent 6 cents on upgrades to my Orion. This I might
also add is the all time record low cost for hardware updates on a new HF
radio.

For anyone wondering about resets / freezing etc., my Orion has NEVER frozen
up or come up with a blank screen. The only time that my spectrum scope has
ever even frozen intermittently when I did not do a hard reset after
updating the firmware. So, I have learned to save the various settings in my
radio prior to doing a hard reset and how to reload them after the hard
reset(I highly recommend the N4PY software for this function)(I also have
them written down as a backup).

As you said Pete, "there are no perfect rigs. Never have been, never will
be. NO piece of equipment can satisfy all users all the time. And it's
unreasonable to expect perfection. But the Orion comes pretty close. "

The Orion is within the area of the Bullseye, perhaps not exactly in the
center, but well inside the boundary lines of it. I would expect that as
time progresses, it will move closer to the center as the experts at TenTec
refine the firmware and the features contained therein. I have sold my 756
series of radios because I know that they can never move closer without
replacement and as I stated above, my expectations have been changed forever
by the ORION.. AND the great PEOPLE of TenTec!

73

Kirby,  W7SV