[TenTec] Re: Buying a New Orion?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Buying a New Orion?
From: "Ron Martin" <royalct@inr.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:41:36 GMT
Nothing is 100% complete upon delivery............

I had a Kenwood 930 ......it was definitely not complete even after a few production runs. You had the privilage of paying to have them fixed for completeness.

I had an Icom 765.....it has paper capacitors in it where it should have been ceramic. You have to pay to have that change to make it complete.

I have an Icom 775DSP.......it wasn't complete (until I debated with Icom to put in a major fix at their cost).

I belive if you bought an Icom 756Pro, you had the pleasure of buying the newer model for completeness.

I won't even go there with the Big Y radios............

I purchased my Orion in August and was delivered in September 2003. It is the most 'complete' big complex radio out of the box that I have ever owned. I do not seem to have the problems (except the 2.5kHz AM Mode) that others chat about on this reflector.

I am running the latest firmware version, run the spectrum scope continuously from friday evenings to Sunday evenings without any problems. I have not had to do a master reset since a few firmware updates ago. I have added new functionality that you would have to pay in the older rigs. (Hmmm, wonder if RFI is an issue)

Compared to the $4K I payed for my 775DSP in the late ninities, I have much more 'complete' radio out of the box with performance that is significantly greater than the 775.................... Cost and completeness wise, I am far ahead of the other top end radios that I have purchase. (ps, I am not of "the faithful culture.")

Ron......NU1U

Don Rasmussen writes:

Hi Guys,

I had an email exchange with a new Orion owner today
and here is how he ended it:

Yes, still a bunch of gremlins but I'm willing to pay
the price to play with this amazing radio.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I worked two spanking new Orions on 15m CW yesterday,
the guys LOVE them.

But it seems that the Orion has been factory debugged
for almost a year now, and beta fixed for several
months before that.

If an Orion is sold today at $3600, what would be a
fair amount of time to expect it to be 100%, given the
list of issues at RFSQUARED.com? And is it fair to
expect that all of these issues will be addressed
before TenTec stops fixing bugs to move to new
development?

The problem is, as long as there is ever a larger bug
that crops up, the little ones don't seem important.

I'd expect some of "the faithful culture" to suggest
that $3600 is a cheap ticket for cutting edge
technology. That as long as the larger bugs are
addressed in decent time, the smaller ones can be
ignored. After all they pale in comparison to the
benefits of cutting edge technology.

But while the cutting edge is always diminished over
time, bugs live forever. ;-)

$3600 into the Orion may be the best money you ever
put in an amateur transceiver *if* Ten Tec fixes
absolutely positively every last tiny little bug that
is reported.

I read in the Orion groups that bugs have sticking to
the list for longer that they should have already. The
goal should be 756Pro class performance, mine hasn't
needed a power reset in the two years I've owned it,
nor have I ever pressed a button that put it into an
"unwelcome state".

With the ARRL review out, opening the door to
mainstream acceptance of the rig, the honeymoon is
just.. about... over..

What's your Orion worth two years down the line?

Ten Tec holds all the cards on that one, I'm hoping
they go the extra mile for everyone - but it won't be
cheap or easy.

73,
de WB8YQJ/6