RE: [TenTec] Open Source for TT firmware

To: "'Martin Ewing'" <martin@aa6e.net>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Open Source for TT firmware
From: "Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:14:38 -0500
Martin,

I'm all for advanced APIs and making low-level data/control available to
external computers. That's good design practice, and can be done without
releasing source code. Detailed documentation is required, of course. I also
agree that a fast CPU and communications interface would most likely be
needed as well. Perhaps USB 2.0 or (preferably) Ethernet.

I think there's an argument that such an architecture would be advantageous
to the manufacturer. You will recall that the original Microsoft/IBM/Intel
(WinTel) design philosophy was to keep the PC architecture open enough to
allow growth of a strong third-party add-on industry (which Microsoft
manages to keep under their thumb through draconian license terms and not
releasing all details of the API.) In contrast, Apple went with a closed
architecture so that they could supply and control all add-ons,
enhancements, etc. The WinTel approach results in much more flexibility for
the user, at the price of unreliability and chaos caused by
incompatibilities. Apple's approach locks the user into a rigid set of
choices, but has the advantage of superior reliability and seamless
operation. Despite its flaws, WinTel created a huge dynamic and growing
market, while Apple's market share has steadily shrunk. It appears that
flexibility is more important to customers than reliability.

On the other hand, the WinTel approach could allow a ham radio manufacturer
to become dominant in market share initially, but if other manufacturers
follow suit the result would be commoditization of the hardware and lower
margins across the board (some of the money would inevitably flow to the
third party software providers.) The ham radio market is probably too small
to make up for lower margins with volume.

73, Dick, WC1M