RE: [TenTec] Orion Jupiter mic connections

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion Jupiter mic connections
From: "George Skoubis" <george.skoubis@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:11:32 -0500
I read the addendum to the owners manual and looked at figure 2-5 which
is supposed to follow.  I didn't have a cable with 2 wires and a shield
so I went to my local Radio Shack and picked up 50 feet of 278-513 audio
cable (2 wires plus shield 50 ft for 7.99).

  I wired the shield to the metal 4 pin connector body (wrapped the wire
around the screw that holds the 2 halves together.  One mic lead to pin
1, one mic lead to pin 2.  On the mic side I used a shielded connector,
connected the shield to the connector body, and the mic leads to the two
insulated wires.

  I use a foot switch and connected it to the PTT connector on the back
of the rig through an interface box I built (connects serial port for
CW, audio in / out, FSK and accessory port on back of Orion).

  I have a second floor shack 35 feet straight below my 3 element beam
and I have monitored my signal on CW, FSK, and SSB on a 2nd receiver on
10, 12, 15, 17, and 20 meters at 1500 watts (1000 FSK) and I don't have
problems with RF getting into the audio circuits this way. I've also
keyed SSB from the computer soundcard and listened to the output on the
2nd receiver and that also sounds good with no RF feedback (also tested
with amp 10-20 meters).

  I do use audio isolation transformers in all the audio lines between
the rig and computer and some ferrite (all inside the interface box).

  It only took a few hours of work to get everything wired and tested
(and a suggestion from a person on this reflector to use serial pin 4,
DTR as PTT and CW key).

  I do have horrible feedback if I connect my computer amplifier (I use
a Soundstream car audio amplifier and some Boston Acoustics speakers for
my computer audio) simultaneously through a Y cord with my Audio In cord
into my interconnection interface that leads to the rig.  I'm sure this
is a ground loop and I will buy two more isolation transformers when the
local Radio Shack gets some more in stock as the three I purchased were
all they had.  I only use the voice keyer in contests so I leave the
audio out from the computer unplugged for now. It is neat to have the
sub receiver sound come out of the left speaker and the main receiver
out of the right.

  I did have bad RFI with my Omni VI+ and wish I had taken the time to
"do it right" as I have with the Orion, I would have enjoyed the rig
more.

  Take care and good luck whether you decide to keep the Orion or switch
to another rig.

73 de George / KF9YR