Re: [RE: [TenTec] RFI and Orion ]

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RE: [TenTec] RFI and Orion ]
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:31:56 -0500
OK guys, thank for the publicity on the "ugly balun".  Here it is in detail.

Some 23 ft or so of  RG-213 (must be the solid core stuff, don't use foam
coax) wound with 1/4" spacing between turns (using nylon sash cord to
maintain spacing, thus reducing C coupling to adjacent turns) on the outside
of a length of 3" ID PVC pipe.  It is about 24" long and finishes at some 5"
overall OD.

The coax feed connects to one end, the balanced feed to the other.  I've
dolled it up a bit with a chassis mount connector on a bracket on one end
and brass screws to which the balanced feed is attached on the other.

It maintains very good balance from 160M - 10M.   Don't worry about the
power level, it will handle it.

I take no claim for this design and technique as it has been done by others
for years.  I just "cleaned it up" a bit, ran some tests to prove to myself
that it really does work.

Ask questions by direct e-mail and I'll be glad to answer them as I do for
others.

73
Bob, K4TAX