Re: [TenTec] ALC Indicator

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ALC Indicator
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:47:45 +0000
Frank,
I don't see the ALC behaviour here that you have observed with your Orion. On CW my ALC light illuminates whenever I key the rig, regardless of power level. On SSB whether it illuminates or not depends largely upon mic gain level as would be expected. I haven't seen the band change problem you describe either.

Sorry that's not much help, other than you now know they don't all do it.

73 Bob, 5B4AGN

Frank Skinner wrote:

In my earlier post I forgot the rig. It is an Orion 565AT but also discovered something else. While operating 40 meters CW one morning I tried to changes bands. Everytime I changed from 40 meters I got the same frequency reading (save 40 meters) 000.000. I turned the rig off and on and the problem cleared up but I have never subscribed to the method of cycling the power off and on as a viable work around for a problem.

Was wondering if anyone has experienced the following. I noticed when switching from SSB to CW modes the ALC light will not come on until a couple of seconds (2 to 7 seconds) of operating in the new mode selected. It does not seem to matter when switching from CW to SSB or SSB to CW.

I also noticed on 21 mhz as well as 24 and 18mhz the ALC light will not operate at all when operating at 100 watts. If I turn the pwr down it will begin to light with the cw. It does not seem to matter if the tuner is in line or not. A master reset did not have an effect on the problem either. The rig seems to operating normal when in CW without the ALC light blinking on and off but does have an effect on SSB (as far as I can tell). I am really puzzled by this one and any help or comments will be appreciated.
v/r Frank (KA4JQZ)