[TenTec] The QSK of QSK

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] The QSK of QSK
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:49:47 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Dave Edwards wrote:

> I think the vast majority of CW ops do NOT prefer QSK.

It's probably safe to say that the majority of CW ops using radios with
good filtering systems to reduce background noise and proper sidetone
adjustment prefer QSK - running QSK without getting the sidetone level
just right, to me, is difficult to use - same thing for the background
noise, if the sidetone is not considerably louder than the background
noise (i.e., filtered out using narrow filters) the noise creates a
dizzying effect, as if the noise is the actual key pulse and the key down
is squelch.

> But, perhaps the vast majority of those subscribed to a TenTec list do.

I would venture a guess that this is because the Ten-Tec radios do a
better job of QSK than any other product offering out there.

More fundamentally, QSK is a means of operating for a seasoned CW
operator.  In my experiences, QSK was a distraction at 25wpm - at 35wpm it
begins to show its usefulness.  Six months ago I was lucky to barely
operate at 25wpm and the idea of hearing anything other than my CW notes
while I was sending would be crazy, now at 35wpm it is difficult to
operate without it.  My guess is that when I reach 50wpm I will be looking
for an older Omni V or VI (whichever one does true QSK at 70-90wpm), but
preferably an Orion.

Now that CW operation is back on the rise again I hope to have some guys
to chat with at QRQ speeds 30 years from now.

73 Jason N1SU