[TenTec] Washing machine RFI - a problem solved

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Washing machine RFI - a problem solved
From: "John Holliman" <w5ot@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 04:36:52 -0500
My wife's Neptune washer caused RFI every 17 Khz on most bands on my
Tentec Omni VI, and was especially bad on 20 and 17 meter bands.  In my
case, the RFI seems to be generated by the motor control circuit during
certain parts of the wash cycle, and radiated by the house wiring
through the power cord.  The solution was to use about $15 worth of
clip-on ferrites (material type 31) on the power cord itself and on the
internal wiring connected to the power cord.

Suggestion: use a portable SW receiver as detector and start
experimenting with the ferrite filters.  You will be able to hear your
progress.  Note that some interference is radiated from the plastic
control panel cover, but that was negligible compared to the house
wiring in my case.

Good luck and good hunting,
73 de John, WA5TWL aka W5OT