Re: [TenTec] orion with 2.055 firmware -- headphones?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] orion with 2.055 firmware -- headphones?
From: "ROBERT CARROLL" <w2wg@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:58:29 -0500
Having the same type jack for the key and the phones, and an audio circuit
which will self destruct if you plug in mono phones seems like a significant
oversight too.  I assume, but don't know, that this was fixed with Orion II.
I hope it was.  I have my jacks marked with small white tags as the
engraving under the jacks is pretty much not visible.  I hope that in a
sleepy state I don't make a mistake and have to mail the Orion back to the
hospital.

I forget which ones, but there are a couple of identical jacks on the back
of the Orion as well.  I don't know if a mistake there causes bad things.
Apparently an ergonomically physical designer did not notice the problem,
and I suspect the electrical designer might not have been a grizzled old
ham.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Orion I, but it certainly has had some
strange issues along its evolutionary path.  I am still stuck on 1.372,
which, except for occasional brief strangeness has be working very well for
me.  The Orion has reinforced one of my weaker genes, causing me to better
appreciate the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it," and one of the
biggest moneymakers for the old Western Electric Company, before it was
driven into the ground, who boldly and proudly stated, "we will deploy no
technology till past its prime."  That of course infuriated much of the
higher management in Bell Labs Research.  But he did make the company a lot
of money when no one else was doing so.

Bob W2WG