Re: [TenTec] orion with 2.055 firmware -- headphones?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] orion with 2.055 firmware -- headphones?
From: "Ken Brookner" <kenb@brookner.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:21:18 -0800
not firmware in my case as it turns out -- tried both 1.3x and 2.x with the
same result.

talked to paul at tentec this morning...  he mentioned that using regular
stereo phones -- like a pair of bose noise reducing phones that i have --
can damage the output amplifier.  so fyi to those who are talking about
doing that in various other threads..  i'd think that the tentec designer/s
would have taken that into consideration, but perhaps not.  he said the
heils were fine.

anyway...  recapping, i had a really bad distortion problem in the left
channel of my headphones--both with a heil proset and bose.  sounded like a
really cheap blown speaker and it was constant until i started thumping the
case...  then it would clear and come back.

i've got it all open on the bench now with the front panel still connected
but apart from the rest of the rig.  both headphone channels are working
fine now...  so, i'll be poking and prodding to see what might be
intermittent before i put the umpteen screws back into the rig.

thanks to all that emailed and posted helpful hints!

kenb