[TenTec] Orion 2 Autotuner

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion 2 Autotuner
From: n4dxi@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:01:22 -0500
I understand the Orion 2 optional auto antenna tuner does NOT have memories.

The Orion transmits 20 watts when "Tune" is depressed.

With all the wonderful options and capabilities of the Orion 2 due to software,
why did Tentec go the opposite direction with their autotuner (memories versus
resetting) ?

There are antenna measuring devices available that measure SWR with miliwatts
of output, why 20 watts on the Orion 2?

With these two limitations, does the Orion 2 contribute to an unnecessary
amount of tuning up and QRM?

I was thinking maybe the antenna tuner has a very broadband range, however it
would be the characteristics of the antenna that would or not require re tuning
with significant frequency change of the transmitter, not any broadband
matching capability of the autotuner.

In contests with my FT 1000D I tune from one end of the band to the other,
calling DX and contest stations as I hear them.  It would seem to me that the
best capability would be an antenna tuner that  re tunes as needed without
transmitting or my intervention because it remembers autotuner settings for
frequencies.

Yes, I know memories would add to the cost, but I would think, not
significantly.

Bottom line, do Orion 2 users tune their antenna tuners more often than others?
  Your technical explanation would be appreciated so I can brag about my newly
ordered Orion 2.

John Bescher, N4DXI