Re: [TenTec] Reflector is getting effective at killing sales

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Reflector is getting effective at killing sales
From: "Ron" <ron@morell.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:28:54 -0600
Ci,
The reflector is mostly about "finding fault", and currently, it is about
finding fault with the ORION radios.  As a practical matter of using the
ORION II and the ORION that I had before it, they are great radios to use.
There are ways to set them up to cause anomalies, but not really a problem.
Lots of complaints about the noise reduction circuit in version 2.xxx of the
software, but even this complaint has been generally overstated.  Lots of
posts on audio quality in version 2.xxx versus version 1.3xx, but in my
experience, the audio is clean and constantly brings in unsolicited positive
comments.  Some concern about diversity reception and the 4 to 6 Hz offset
between the Sub RX and the Main RX, but really, I do not notice this as an
issue on CW, and knowing that phase differences of received signals will
exist between different antennas due to propagation factors, polarization
factors, Doppler frequency shift, and the dominant path of the signal
received, it is almost laughable to read posts worrying about that.

So...  Buyer beware, but a person should not use the reflector to decide
about the Ten Tec radios.  Instead, buy the radio and try it out on the 30
day trial period.  Then you can decide for yourself.  Figure that the
reflector will worry the defects and wish list to the Nth degree and
eventually, maybe, with grace, Ten Tec will finally perfect the radios to
the satisfaction of the most educated and discriminating user.  (But I would
not count on it.)

I really like my ORION II.  It is a lot of fun to use and does not cause me
any frustration or anxiety.  I use it about 60% CW, 30% SSB, and 10%
Digimodes, and I sometimes use the N4PY software with it and MixW as well.
I don't have any outboard equalizers, or expensive microphones or external
amplifiers, or noticeable RF in the shack, or noticeable ground loops, or
other defective installation problems.  I do not have the internal tuner.  I
occasionally use diversity reception on CW using a dipole for the Main
antenna and a beverage for RX antenna.

The ORION II is truly a great radio and in my opinion, a good value at the
current price.  Then again, I enjoy working with or on, most any radio...
:-)
Ron
KA7U