Re: [TenTec] Lousy eHam review

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lousy eHam review
From: jmalloy <jmalloy@stny.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:47:03 -0400
Toby Pennington wrote:
> I was just forwarded an email from the poster of the Lousy eHam Review
> describing his experience with the Jupiter and Ten Tec.  He seemed to have
> some very real issues with the Jupiter including RF problems which could not
> be resolved.  His ground system was installed under his house when it was
> built,  and all his other rigs worked very well and he has quite a few well
> known rigs.  Other issues involved how he was handled by Ten Tec personel.
> It seems like someone may have dropped the ball at TT to some extent.
>
> I have had really bad rf problems before and it can drive you nutty trying
> to fix it.  The guy was fed up and it shows in his post.   Happy July 4th
> all!

I don't know what the problem is (I have my thoughts about it, though)
with some people and the Jupiter, but I had one for a few years before
trading it in on the Orion and I thought it was a pretty good radio.
Transmit audio was very nicely adjustable, receive audio was plentiful,
and the software was field updatable and stable.  No RF or grounding
problems here and I used it on all bands, modes and power levels with
nary a problem (and believe me, I didn't have a very advanced antenna
system at the time (still have a basic, but better one) or grounding
system -- a G5RV and a pipe 8' in the ground!).  I'm not a DX'er but
worked numerous countries on all the upper bands (okay, maybe the
sunspots had something to do with it!).  As far as I was concerned, it
was and, as far as I know, a great radio -- for its price point.

Maybe some people expect more.

73,

Joe, W2RBA