Re: [TenTec] "End of an Era"

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "End of an Era"
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:31:09 -0700
Isn't this the reason that the Jupiter essentially replaced the
Pegasus?  And
perhaps why the Kachina is no longer in production?

Jerry makes a good point.  As sort of a tangential example, a few years ago
I bought an Icom PCR-1000.  It's a small-footprint general-coverage
receiver that uses computer control.  The software furnished was designed
around Windows 98.  At that time, I had just upgraded every PC in the
house to Windows 2000.  Today I have only one computer running Windows
2000; the others run XP Pro or Linux.  Appealing at the time, this gadget is
now gathering dust.  I have no idea what it would sell for, if anyone would
even want it.  Icom never did update the software to work with the newer
versions of Windows, and did not guarantee that it would work with 2000,
although I managed to get it going without too much trouble.

Admittedly, as a software developer, I've always been intrigued by the
marriage of hardware and software.  When it was new, the Kachina turned
a lot of heads at hamfests and conventions.  When T-T introduced the
Pegasus I bought one, and still have it.  The SDR-1000 caught me looking
and I still am, although an Argo V is probably the next radio to be added
to the shack.

Time will tell.

73 de Jim - AD6CW