Re: [TenTec] Inrad Roofing Filters for Omni VI

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad Roofing Filters for Omni VI
From: Bill Cotter <n4alg@qx.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:22:32 -0400
Paul,

I have installed the two 400Hz Inrad filters (#750/#759), in
addition to the 600Hz roofing filter (#763) and board. I can tell
you from my perspective, after replacing the TT 2x500 and 2x250
filters, that the choice was worth the expense. My primary usage is
CW DX'ing for the weak ones, in crowded and noisy conditions.

The 400Hz filters are razor sharp, very low ringing, and seem to
enhance the signal by diminishing the noise power in the passband.
I seldom the TT NR-DSP because of the distracting artifacts, but it
REALLY is more useful with the Inrad filters - I think due to less
noise to process. And, as Clark mentioned, when you switch in the
roofing filter, the adjacent QRM disappears.

The TT 250Hz filters drove me crazy with the hollow-ringing and
constant 'chasing' a weak signal around the passband. The 500Hz TT
filters were just the right width, but the shape factor always
seemed too large. I never had extra TT filters to swap around to
discover if there was anything unusual about the pairs I owned.

After using the Inrad 400Hz filters, I bit the bullet and purchased
one of the #766 1,000Hz filters for the N2 position. I wanted a
'wide' window for sleuthing around the band, and it is an absolute
delight. I just wish that Inrad would produce the compliment 6.3mHz
1,000Hz filter. I have been advised that if they receive enough
orders, they will market one. For now, I continue to use the 1.8kHz
TT filter.

73 Bill N4LG

At 11:52 AM 6/14/2007, you wrote:
>I only see a couple of entries in the eHam reviews for the Inrad
>roofing
>filters for the Omni VI.  I'm considering getting the CW version
>and would
>appreciate any comments on the performance enhancement that these
>filters  provide.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Paul, K5AF

Bill Cotter, N4LG             E-mail: n4alg@qx.net
173 Carolyn Lane               Home: (859) 887-5563
Nicholasville, KY 40356-9340   Work: (859) 323-6474

ARRL   ARCI #9878   QRPl #1646   QCWA #29393   FISTS #4535