Re: [TenTec] OT: RFI from Plasma TV?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: RFI from Plasma TV?
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:29:32 +0000
> What percentage of electronics sent to this country is tested by someone
> here?  Or are we
> taking the word of the Chinese testers or the company with the contract
> to build there?
> Seems that the tip of the iceberg has melted on toys, food and other
> imports that come
> from China as to quality etc.  And also what is actually being inspected
> here by our own
> inspectors,  what few there are.
> Almost every piece of electronic gear I have bought made in China in the
> past few years
> has caused interference of some type, either to my ham radio or even to
> the TV itself.
> Having worked with the Chinese since the late 80's and even lived
> there,  I can tell you
> for a fact its much worse than what you can imagine.  So dont expect
> everything coming
> from there to be compliant with any US standard,  the only way is if the
> American
> contractor is standing there overlooking all processes.  And some do..
> most dont.
> 73 Merv K9FD/KH6

My 2000 model Sony multi-system TV was the predecessor of my HD set.  I
was being driven crazy by noise on various ham bands.  Then I noticed
one day while coming up the drive and listening to an AM broadcast
station, that the noise was coming from my own house.  I sniffed around
and deterimed that the noise source was the switching supply in the Sony
set.  Winding *all* of the AC line cord on a ferrite toroid eliminated
the noise.

Since then, I've found that manufacturers are cranking out gobs of
interference generators.  One of the biggest sources encountered is the
switching supply which comes with those under counter halogen lights.

Dave Heil K8MN