Re: [TenTec] How well is a Scout on SSB?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How well is a Scout on SSB?
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:49:15 -0500
That's been my experience, too. Once when operating portable, it took a
major frequency shift on SSB. I traced the problem to a corroded crimp
lug where the power cable connected to the SUV battery. Too much voltage
drop.

The voltage regulator is a low differential type, whatever they are
called. There are some helpful tricks that you can do to minimize
voltage drop, like tightening the pins on the power connectors and
replacing the spring-loaded fuse holder with an automotive blade type.

Fixes applied directly to the PTO are shortening the coil leads where
they connect to the PC board, to minimize vibration effects, and
replacing one of the 15 pf N750 caps with an NP0 type, because some
Scouts are overcompensated.

There is one software quirk that I noticed. If I transmit on CW, then
immediately flip the toggle to the "speed" position, the PTO will take
off. Not something one would normally do, and definitely a software
issue, I think.

On SSB, my Scout seems to sound best with a dynamic mike instead of an
electret type.

                                73,

                                Bob WB2VUF