Re: [TenTec] Original Orion Firmware

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Original Orion Firmware
From: WB2RHM - Ben Antanaitis <WB2RHM@ARRL.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 19:21:53 -0400
JH,

I am running firmware version 2.062a in my mdl 565 w/V2 fix and new
'blue screen' display.

I am using 2.062a because it allows me to 'zoom-in'/'zoom-out' the
bandwidth coverage of the spectrum sweep.  I do a lot of RTTY
contesting, and 2.062a and earlier firmware versions allowed me to
see the individual signals in the crowded data segments. The newer
sweep design just has a total loss of definition of the individual
RTTY stations +/-72KHz sweep on a small screen.

1) In the new firmware version, please allow for zoom-in and zoom-out
of the sweep display frequency resolution.

2) When a frequency on a new band is loaded into either VFO A or B
from a 'saved' User Memory, (RECALL)(M>VFO) the Band Data information
available (presented) at the backpanel Band Decoder connector is NOT
UPDATED to reflect the new band until the frequency of the VFO is
'changed' away from the newly transferred/loaded value by either
moving the VFO knob or via a software frequency change command.

I found this out the hard way, by having my amp finals 'cooked' by
not being  automatically set to the correct band after having loaded
(RECALL)(M>VFO) a 'saved' frequency, due to this bug in the v2.062a firmware.

I'll be happy to test this one out for you.

73,

Ben Antanaitis - WB2RHM