Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+

To: Clayton Brantley <clayton_n4ev@yahoo.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 02:41:44 -0500

On 2/4/2013 5:20 PM, Clayton Brantley wrote:
That's why you guys should lock out ebay!  I'll never look there or list there
for anything

Amen, bruddah.

Nevertheless, collect and sell fountain pens as another hobby, and I know of no larger worldwide marketplace where I can easily offer bits of my collection to such a large audience... so eBay and PayPal fees are merely the cost of doing business and is simply factored into cost of goods sold. Similarly, Hams typically pay $5 to $10 for a table, and another $5 or $6 to attend, a local hamfest or swap meet... so I guess every market has its cost of admission.

By tradition and social convention, hams are expected to treat each other with courtesy as if we are members of a friendly, honorable, worldwide fraternity - and in this I have rarely been disappointed. The cooperation and assistance shown in this group certainly proves the rule.

In contrast, on eBay, I see all sorts of low characters. I recently sold an fairly expensive, collector quality pen from my collection - but the buyer raised objections to its condition, claiming I overcharged him (as if that is possible in an AUCTION sale...) because there is evidence of ink in the feed and converter -- er... duh... notwithstanding the fact I advertised it as USED, having been inked and tested, with signs of handling, as part of a larger collection!

Rather than argue with him, I merely asked what would make him happy - and he said a $4 discount/partial refund (i.e., less than 6% of the purchase price) would make him a very happy customer - or else he might leave bad feedback and attempt to revoke the transaction. Er... um... Can you say... "extortion?"

In contrast, I have sold a pile of gear on QRZ.com and have never had a bad experience - so with regard to ham gear, that is my preferred marketplace. Consistent with the above-described ham tradition, I have never encountered the sort of quasi criminal behavior at a hamfest or on QRZ.com that one often finds on eBay.

So, yeah, with regards to selling ham gear... I avoid eBay and its exorbitant fees.

Thanks for your indulgence... I guess I am still sorta steaming over it.