Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation

To: "Roger Rippy" <svtincup@yahoo.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation
From: "jack" <jfriend31@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 06:51:09 -0600
two of the original Orions, built close to the front of the production of the Orion line sit side by side on my desk. I am running the last of the 1.xxx firmware on both. I had to change the internal battery on both radios last year. otherwise they work just like they did new. it has been several years since the original Orion was replaced with the O 2. so long as Ten Tec supports them when I may ever need that, I am happy.

my last tube radio was a Drake TR-4 with outboard vfo RV-3 that ran 25 years before it began to fail. even then tubes were the problem.

it is sad to see the Orion series cease to be manufactured. however they lost some to the K3 series which is now THE radio in the Utah DX Association especially on Field Day.

I hope too that Ten Tec builds another radio similar to the Orion for about the same money and with the quality of the latest offerings by the big names and on the order of the K3 with incremental additions/improvements that can be done at home.

jack
ak7o

-----Original Message----- From: Roger Rippy