Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation
From: GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:08:32 -0500
Although I'm not an ORION owner, I do agree with Eric. In manufacturing or purchasing of electronic components, volume has everything to do with keeping per unit costs down (way down). Ten years ago I was involved in purchasing Motorola Land Mobile systems including the repeaters and portables, also cell phones, and pagers in large volume and at one third the cost of recommended retail..... NOT thirty-three percent discount but rather sixty-six percent discount. I was buying by the skid, pallet, or thousand units. Keep in mind Motorola manufactured their own Integrated Circuits and control processors but also purchased components at volume discount from other manufacturers when it made economic sense in order to sell to hundred or thousands of customers like me.

We have to keep in perspective that TenTec builds their product for a niche market with a relatively low demand. Production runs of 100 units at a time are the norm for their Amateur products. While the overall production numbers for a product may run in the thousands, the production runs are still based on 25, 50, or 100 units at a time. Purchasing the components for those production runs are also rather low events too so component parts are not as heavily discounted as Motorola or the Asian big three experience.

I've been buying TenTec equipment since the early 1980s. I've had a good experience with both their products and service. You can see my station via my callsign at QRZ.com

DISCLOSURE:
This is to inform all persons, I am a Ten-Tec Ambassador and I receive compensation according to the Ten-Tec Ambassador program. I have used and owned Ten-Tec amateur radio products for over thirty years. I hold no employment relationship, no financial interests nor do I conduct any commercial business, direct or indirect, with Ten-Tec.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M

-----Original Message----- From: R. Eric Sluder