Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 situation
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:58:10 -0500 (CDT)
I agree with Mike and Jim on the points they raise.

Most companies will make and investment in parts and make an attempt to
forecast the required spares needed to support a product for some period
of time after the last date of production.  {There is no legal obligation
past the warranty period for a company to maintain service or parts
support for a product of this type.}

Again the success hinges on the company's commitment to investment and
the "forecast" for parts consumption.    This means the company must
spend dollars for parts to, for the most part, sit on the shelf.  There
is little return on investment.  As to parts consumption, while there are
some statistical values, it is still a guessing game.   The more complex
an item becomes, the more difficult to project future needs.

Based on the company history, I am comfortable that product support in
terms of parts will be available for the users for quite some time in the
future.

If you own and Orion or Orion II radio, you have one of the best radios
on the market and an equally great company for product support.

73
Bob, K4TAX

> Jim Brown reminded us why the Orion 2 is no longer going to be
> produced....due to components issues.  In my mind, that presents an even
> larger problem...long term ownership.  If Ten Tec can't get parts to
> produce radios, what would make us believe that they will be able to
> repair these radios in the future?  These newer radios are very UNLIKE
> the tube rigs and hybrid radios of yesteryear.  Those radios had no
> proprietary components in them and whatever seemed complex at the time,
> could/can be rebuilt or replaced with modern "systems" like a DDS
> controlled VFO.  If a particular uC or DSP chip becomes unobtanium, then
> you wind up with a rather large doorstop unless you buy up other
> doorstops to make one radio.
> Sadly, I suspected this was going to happen because the little issues
> that remained with the Orion 2 were not being addressed.  I feel
> fortunate to have owned one for a while but more fortunate to have sold
> it and gotten out of it unscathed.  The other 2 American manufacturers
> aren't much different or better.  Flex-Radio recently announced that they
> would not be producing/supporting the 5000 and when the Elecraft K3 was
> announced, no further firmware updates to the K2 were made (and there
> were a couple that should have been to make the radio meet its
> specifications).
> I'm afraid that the reality is that we are all beta testers while we own
> the radio.  Just when we think they are solid, the manufacturer
> terminates production/support.  We often rely on their promises and are
> let down.  Thankfully, I can rely on other aspects of the hobby, like
> modifying less expensive equipment to suit my own needs.
> Mike, WA1SEO

Disclosure:
I am a Tentec Ambassador and compensated according to the Tentec
Ambassador plan. I serve as a volunteer beta test person for the Omni
VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI products.   Otherwise, I hold no business or
employment interest with Tentec.