Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:01:41 -0400
I like LMR400. We ordered spools of it along with N connectors for the workplace when we rebuilt our GPS antenna distribution system. We have preamps built into the antennas and in the splitter, but the coax runs from the antennas are about 100 ft and at 1.5 GHz, LMR400 works very reliably. The system we replaced used RG-213, which was marginal. Some hams say that LMR400 is noisy, and they buy Belden 9913. I think that's an urban myth, and I hear that water can get into the 9913 because it is mostly air dielectric. To each his own.

I have to laugh about the idea of burying open wire or window line. The whole idea of using window or ladder line today is to reduce dielectric losses by making sure that most of the dielectric between the conductors is air, so that attenuation under a high SWR will be minimal. Now replace the air with a lossy dielectric like dirt and see what happens. In 1991 I found myself in a foreign land. The hotels were in a line on the beach and a couple of blocks in were several embassies. I amused myself by walking around spotting antennas. Except for one big log periodic, all of the embassy rooftops sported dipoles fed with good old 600 ohm ladder line.

                73,

                Bob WB2VUF