Re: [TenTec] Corsair noise blanker and frequency display

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair noise blanker and frequency display
From: "A R" <raf_3@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 20:54:54 -0700
Wade,

Yeah.......been there, done that. After a couple of months of no help from the
power company, I bought an 18" ultrasonic parabolic dish and detector 3 months
ago to pursue this problem, thinking that if I could pinpoint the noise source,
they might be more responsive. The ultrasonic is useful in pinpointing the
offending device. But one must first locate/identify the geographic location of
the offending device or structure before the dish is useful. In a metro power
distribution system, determining the geographic location of THE offending
device/structure is very difficult, if not impossible, since the noise can be
propagated throughout the distribution system. And in the case of my situation,
even re-radiated from other structures (like metal street lighting poles). The
city street lighting crews were very responsive and helpful in coming out, and
eliminating the street lighting fixtures as the noise source (and confirmed
that they're just noise "repeaters"). What I did lear
 n, is that the power distribution in this area has lots of aluminum wiring in
the drops to properties and street lighting. If you've ever dealt with aluminum
wiring terminations, you know what a great potential that presents for a source
of emi. And, there's no way the power company is going to either replace the
aluminum with copper, or perform a comprehensive wide-area maintenance to
properly re-terminate all the aluminum. The power company here has cut back
their service/maintenance to the extent that they respond only to catastrophic
failures in the system (complete loss of power), or system conditions or
failures that pose a public safety hazard. "Nuisance" complaints (EMI) just
don't meet their criteria for committing/dispatching maintenance personnel. So,
after many months of frustration tilting THAT windmill......I've resorted to
COPING with what I'm unable to cure.

One of my ham friends in San Diego has suggested filing a complaint with the
FCC. I guess I'm reluctant to do that, since I'm not real keen on dealing with
one more bureaucracy.

73,
Allen--W7GIF