Re: [TenTec] Source for Binaural Receiver

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Source for Binaural Receiver
From: Doc <k0evzdoc@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 12:33:13 -0700
Jim, well I don't know whether the Orion does all this or not.  Never have
owned one of those beauties!  I have learned that the K3 and K3S have this
capability.  I have been trying to save up some shekels for onel.  I have a
K2, but it doesn't have any capability for a second receiver.

Yep, I believe that the system takes output from a single antenna and does
it's magic.  Somehow there is a process which takes the single source, then
divides it into left and right.  Then it sends these two signals into the
headphones, one signal out of phase 90 degrees from the other.  The effect
is dramatic as I said earlier.

I actually owned a receiver which did this, only to lose it in a move.
Rats.  Sure would like to have this one back.  No idea as to where it went,
but suddenly when we got into our new house, there was no binaural
receiver.  I probably should have gone out for a replacement in those days,
which was about 15 years ago, because doubtless several guys were building
them up from articles in QST and elsewhere.

73,
--Doc/K0EVZ

73,
--Doc/K0EVZ

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Doc.  Are these the signals from a single antenna or from two?
>
> If from a single antenna, this sounds like Digital Signal Processing. The
> Elecraft K3 has a function like this that I've never tried. I should do
> that. :)
>
> If it's from two synchronized receivers, its called diversity. The K3 can
> do that too if you buy the second RX.  Does the Orion do that with its
> second RX?
>
> 73, Jim K9YC
>
> On Sun,1/1/2017 9:22 AM, Doc wrote:
>
>> In essence it is a receiver which allows the listener to hear the sound
>> field in effect "floating" in the background in three-dimensional space.
>> had one, and the effect was simply stunning.  The signals in the passband
>> conveniently spread around in the sound field, making it very easy to
>> separate.  In other words, the signals as it were separate themselves, so
>> the listener can easily focus on the desired signal. So the sound didn't
>> go
>> merely left to right, but "around".

Doc/K0EVZ