Topband: 160m conditions - before and after solar peak

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m conditions - before and after solar peak
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:40:46 +0800
G'day

As we approach the equinox, the conditions on the topband still seem pretty
disappointing - high absorption and weak signals.  Considering we are now
two to three years after the solar peak, this seems very interesting -
particularly when I look at the excellent topband conditions that existed
right up until the year before the solar peak.

I have only been on 160m from VK6 for about seven years, so this is the
first time I have experienced post-solar conditions from here.  However, my
recollection from living in the UK and operating on 160 was that the
conditions a couple of years after a solar peak was as good as those a
couple of years after.

Of course, this was a long time ago now and maybe my memory is being fickle.

I would be very interested - and am sure others would be too - as to what
the old hands on this reflector, such as W8JI, K1ZM, W8UVZ, GM3POI, etc -
think about the question as to whether 160 conditions are usually better
before a peak than in the years immediately after - and whether there is
any 'linearity' in this situation?

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ