Topband: 160 Vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Vertical
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:41:50 -0700
On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:26:30AM -0400, Milt Jensen, N5IA wrote:

> It will take a bit of experimenting, and quite a lot of time on the tower,
> but this is the approach that my experience dictates you take.
>
> You need to find the effective 1/4 WL point from the top of the tower which
> may be about 100' AGL.  At that point use downward sloping 1/4 WL radials
> which may be insulated or grounded to the tower (your choice and there are
> advantages and disadvantages both ways.

This would have been my advice as well.  I have what is probably a half sized
situation (something that used to be used as a loaded 1/4 wave tower on 160
and it worked well.  I put a quarter wave sloper on it for 80 and it works
great.

The other choice however is to reproduce one of the magic antennas at N5AU.
This consists of three half wave slopers off in different directions.  This
will give you some directivity and a lot less work required finding the
right feedpoint of your tower.

Tree N6TR/7
tree@kkn.net