Re: Topband: Keying waveform

To: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Keying waveform
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 07:25:11 -0500
My 1998 edition shows a much different photo.  I am referring to section
17.5, figure 17.52.  The photo depicts an abrupt rise and a very sharp
discontinuity on the trailing edge.  Likewise, the photo show in figure
15.8(a) shows the same keyed waveform in better detail.

What the ARRL Handbook fails to address is that it is not only is the
rise/fall wave-form important, but that all points between zero and maximum
output along the keyed wave's function need smooth consistency in order to
minimize bandwidth.

It been stated here before and is probably worth repeating that the actual
shape of the wave-form is more important than the measured rise/fall time.
It is entirely possible to construct a 1-2 ms rise/fall that produces less
sideband energy than a poorly-constructed 10 ms rise/fall time.

-Paul, W9AC