Topband: 160M_AC_BUZZ

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160M_AC_BUZZ
From: "george" <goofyham@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:26:40 -0400
I have noticed an alarming raspy noise on the lower portion of the 160 band
especially in the AM mode of receive. Above 1.9MHZ it is tolerable but in my
favorite portion of the band 1.8 to 1.85 CW it runs a S9. I can hear the
buzzing all the way down to the AM broadcast band. I can use the blanker to
remove it but strong near-by signals overload the blanker.
I got up at 1AM last night and it was not there??? This morning,  back
again.
I also ran my rig on a 12V battery and shut down the AC to my  whole house
with no help.
I ran the streets with my mobile rig on 121.0MHZ AM receive and  found one
pole was emitting the buzzing sound but not loud as I  would expect. I
suspect since it is only during the day that it is  load related and maybe a
loose connection to the HV line to the  pole pig and not a arcing insulator.
Any ideas before the 160 DX season begins on how to find the culprit?
By the way, I called the local Electric Company and put in a complaint.
Any suggestions for finding the problem?
I hope I can get this fixed before the 160 DX season!
George W2YJ

George W2YJ