Re: Topband: 160M_AC_BUZZ

To: "george" <goofyham@rochester.rr.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160M_AC_BUZZ
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:02:36 -0600
At 06:26 AM 8/10/2007, george wrote:
>I have noticed an alarming raspy noise on the lower portion of the 160 band...
>
>Any ideas before the 160 DX season begins on how to find the culprit?
>
>George W2YJ

Good luck, George.

Sounds very much like the line noise situation at my QTH.

Finding the source may turn out to be the least of your problems.
I've been trying to get the power company to clean up a couple of
terrible sources near me, which I've already located for them. After
two years of repeated complaints and meetings and discussions and
promises, absolutely NOTHING has actually been done. But, they still
promise to "take care" of it.

You may also need to search for the source farther away from your
shack than you might think.  My worst source of line noise is located
about 400 yards away to my SW. (Two antique pole-mounted lightning
arrestors).  One downside to using a Beverage antenna for RX is that
in the favored direction of the Beverage, noise sources will be
bothersome from a much greater distance.

Charles - K5ZK