Re: Topband: rigs for top band

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: rigs for top band
From: Ian Wade <g3nrw@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 07:07:13 +0100
In message <841848.50172.qm@web36204.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, steve d
<kc8qvo@yahoo.com> writes
>Hi All, I figured I would ask the group what they thought of a few rigs.
>
>  First: do any of you have experience with the FT-2000? How about the
>FT-2000 with the Mu-tune units?
>
>  Next: the Ten Tec Orion II. I have heard this is the  king of low
>band operating. However, a friend of mine had either the I or II (cant
>remember now) and sent it back because it was too complicated.
>
>  Any thoughts from those that have used either, or both and can
>compare?  The FT-2000 seems like the most economical route at about
>$2500, but  once you factor in the Mu-tune units youre right up to
>about what the  Orion costs out of the box.

Steve,

Have you considered the software defined radios, like the new
Flex-5000A, or the older SDR-1000?

http://www.flex-radio.com/

Cost-wise they compare well with the top-of-the-range legacy radios like
the 2000 and Ten Tec, but performance-wise they well exceed those
radios, and changing/updating the DSP is simply a matter of downloading
new software. SDRs are future-proof -- once you have an SDR, you never
need to buy hardware again.

Ian, G3NRW