Re: Topband: AAARRRAAGH ##$!@@!!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: AAARRRAAGH ##$!@@!!
From: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:18:20 -0500

> If you must tune up when the band is open, and plan to call in a pile
> up, look for a clear frequency away from the pile up and follow the
> steps above.

Or heck, pick the frequency you're ***going to use*** in the pileup.

A pileup is basically a bunch of acceptable intentional QRM.  While it's not
acceptable to throw a carrier on a pileup *intentionally", it is vastly
preferable to doing so over top of the DX.

If I'm in a pileup for some DX on 1826.0 and someone spends one minute
tuning up on 1827.0 when I'm trying to get through on 1827.3, that's
probably going to work out
seamlessly for everyone.  I know better than to transmit dead on the dead
carrier frequency!

Plus that's the only way to get the TUNING PERFECTION that these stations
are clearly after.

But I"m not sure rationality has too much to do with it.  Here's the
tuner-upper timetable:

1) Cluster spot alarm goes off.
2) Cluster spot is clicked, radio QSYs.
3) Amp is tuned up
4) Split is turned on
5) Brain is engaged
6) Frequency is picked and calls begin

If I'm being uncharitable, I view this as a mistake made by callous, stupid,
and selfish people. But there's  a different interpretation of steps one
through four.  Steps two through four are a REFLEX in response to the
stimulus of step one.   This is a very useful thing.  First do action X,
then engage brain.  But if you're going to function in society you need to
temper your reflexes with snap judgements.

Tuning up on the DX is probably often like being a tough guy who knocks
someone out for tapping him on the shoulder to ask directions.
The basic reflex is probably critical in a lot of situations the tough guy
gets in, but being unable to shut it off is a major problem.

73
Dan