Re: Topband: Inverted L

To: Phil Duff <na4m@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:51:41 -0500
On 2011-11-30, at 10:23 AM, Phil Duff wrote:

> One thing I learned from my recent antenna project using RG6 and F
> connectors was to buy quality environmentally sealed F connectors
> (Snap-N-Seal) and the proper RG6 cutting/stripping and Snap-N-Seal
> connector installation tool.
>
> Makes quick weather tight RG6 F connectors.  The junk
> push-on/screw-on/solder F connectors are nothing but trouble.

Hi Phil,

All I do here to make my terminations / connections is employ standard PL-259
plugs, with RG-59 reducers...

The RG-6 fits very nicely into those.

Because I use aluminum foil shielding in mine as well, prior to mating the
reducer into the plug assembly itself, I simply trim off all of the aluminum
foil, leaving only the wire strands remaining: I then apply some 5-minute epoxy
glue to the wire / reducer, screw it into the plug, then swab more epoxy
through the holes in the plug that are normally filled with solder. Any excess
glue is simply wiped off. The centre pin is soldered to the centre conductor of
the cable, as normal...

A small length of heat shrink tubing---or a tight wrap of electrical
tape---bridges a short length of the cable & the rear of the plug, to impact
extra physical strength to it all.

After allowing the glue several minutes' of drying time, I simply swath the
entire plug with clear silicone sealant, if it's going to remain on an outside
connection.

This is the method that I use on my system, & I've had not one single issue
running some 600-watts into it for the past 5-6 seasons on 160-meters...

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK