Re: Topband: November 30-December 2 -- ARRL 160 Meter Contest

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, "Eddy Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: November 30-December 2 -- ARRL 160 Meter Contest
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:05:47 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>
To: "Eddy Swynar" <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Cc: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>; <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 9:32 AM

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca> wrote:

At that time, I established a dialogue with one of the committee members
who was situated in western Canada: as I recall, Frank had success in
expressing his concerns to him, but I don't recall the outcome of your
efforts. Did you, in fact, make a connection to the CAC through that
particular window of opportunity...?

CAC members have a fairly limited role in situations like this.  They are
only called in to "advise" on specific questions that are handed down from
HQ.  They then go off and collect data on those questions.  Think of them
as survey coordinators who collect data from members of their division and
roll that up into a report that goes back to HQ.

The ARRL160 isn't everyone's cup of tea.  It does however have a fairly
long history as being an event that gets people in the USA and Canada fired
up and on topband..  It is sort of like the ARRL Sweepstakes - but only on
160 meters.  DX QSOs are allowed - but it isn't an international contest
really.  It is a very boring contest from Zone 21 for example.

If we engineered all contests to be "perfect" from one perspective - all
contest would end up being the same.  I don't think it is that bad of a
deal that we have three different 160 meter contests that are all different
- and you can decide which ones are the ones you want to participate in.
If you feel there is something missing from this equation - I invite you to
sponsor a 4th one and then see if people "vote with their feet" and
participate in the event.

73 Tree N6TR

I look at it as only a WAS contest and like to see how many times I can complete it at different power levels. Operating is strictly search and pounce.
Still havent done it at 5W and doubt I ever will from out here in NH.

Carl
KM1H