Re: Topband: Lightning QRN season?

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lightning QRN season?
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:26:27 -0400
I would think that with optimized F/R for your Beverages that at least one path would be somewhat quiet.

I was on 160 AM for a few hours last eve and QSO's out to 300-450 miles was good copy with stations at the 100W level at both ends. Northern Maine, Buffalo, WPA, and others were worked with the 1949 Viking I at 100W and also 1949 era HQ-129X with the 180' high inverted V. Reports using the vertical were weaker and with a lot of deep QSB except for the stations out to 50 miles or so.

With a good part of SA being to the S/SE from here Ive heard the occassional LU, PY, etc on CW while keeping enough of the SW and W T storm static at bay. Cranking in the selectivity further improves the SNR.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>