Re: Topband: QRP

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: QRP
From: Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 15:50:21 -0800
Jim,

OK, I am working on a similar arrangement with 4 elevated radials at 14 feet. Hence the question.

thanks,
Bob
K6UJ

On 12/15/15 3:41 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Tue,12/15/2015 3:33 PM, Robert Harmon wrote:
Do the 160 verticals with 4 radials elevated at 20 feet, individually outperform the other vertical with 60 radials on the ground ?

I have no meaningful way to measure that, but work by N6LF and N6BT suggest that radials elevated by 20 ft can approach 30-60 radials on the ground. The key word is "approach," with the obvious question, how closely? I'd guess within a dB or so. N6LF suggests that 8 elevated radials tend to be more efficient than only 4, because the greater number tend to achieve better balance between radial currents, which in turn maximizes efficiency.

73, Jim K9YC