Topband: My beverage only hears static?

To: topband@contesting.com, terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Subject: Topband: My beverage only hears static?
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 12:44:25 -0800 (PST)
Hi folks,

I put up my first beverage recently. It's about 550-600 feet of 17 gauge
electric fence wire running to the north about 6-7 feet high. Not terminated
right now but using a beverage transformer I purchased on qth.com and have not
put on the termination yet. Using a 5' galvanized ground rod at the transformer
and 75 ohm RG-6 surplus I got about 35 feet to my K-3 Elecraft thru an Array
Solutions frontend protector to the RX antenna connection.

All I get is S-5 static on the beverage. Even the strong stations barely make a
ripple of noise. Is this right?

I added some clamp on ferrites to see if the Common Mode Noise would be cut
down but after putting 5 on the RG-6 coax there is no difference. Just that S-5
static level on any band 80/40/20/etc. Right now I'm listening to P49MR on
14.250.0 Mhz and his 57 signal does not even come thru on the beverage when I
switch to RX antenna?

Terry

KI7M