Re: Topband: Quarter wave sloper ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Quarter wave sloper ?
From: "jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2024 18:59:31 -0700
Quarter wave sloper ?

Just to be xtal clear, when I said 1/4 wave sloper,  I meant coax run up to
nearly the top of the tower, with braid to tower.....and hot side of coax
to the 1/4 wave sloping wire.  Bottom of the sloping wire has the
insulator....and 6' off the grnd.    NO radials anywhere.  Base of tower
has 3 x 8' deep grnd rods, all cad welded below grnd, then 2 ga wire to
each tower leg.  Another 2 ga bare copper wire runs from base of tower to a
4th grnd rod outside basement window..... then more 2 ga ( insulated
RW-90)..to SPG alum plate just inside the basement.

The 3 x els of the modified F12  340N (40m yagi)  are INSULATED from the
35' boom.  Both the REF and the DIR  have a pair of vac relays and a flat
strap coil inside a nema box (one at each end of boom) to provide for 4 x
tuning segments.  Insulator between the inner 40m ele halves.  Both halves
are insulated from the boom.   The Driven ele also has a plastic nema box,
and also a center insulator, but this time has TWO flat strap coils, and
FOUR vac relays, 2 per coil, to provide for 7 x segments.  All 8 x vac
relays operate independently.  Driven ele is mounted 6' up the mast.
 Equal spacing from DE to each parasitic ele.

I have used 1/4 wave slopers in the past...but 75m only.  Same deal, coax
to top of tower, braid to top of tower, and hot side of coax  to 1/4 wave
sloping wire. Yagi just above top of tower.

Jim   VE7RF