[Towertalk] The Ham Radio Business

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] The Ham Radio Business
From: w5kp@swbell.net (Jerry Kincade)
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 20:22:00 -0800
Looks like a heck of a radio, Jim, but I wonder why it's only 100W vice 200W
like the other big guys?  And even at 100W key down (for instance, RTTY)
service, it requires an "accessory fan". If I forked over $3300 for a radio,
I'd hate to have to run an outboard fan on top of it to keep from blowing
the finals at 100W. That's like being told by GM you have to change out all
four tires to "accessory" speed-rated radials if you want to drive your new
Corvette over 75 mph...  However, I'm all for Ten-Tec's American made stuff,
and certainly would consider buying it if the final product can run 200W
without blowing up or needing special treatment, and can compete with or
beat my ricebox!

Lastly, in defense of ricebox makers, I've had two repair experiences with
Yaesu's Oregon repair facility, one minor one with a 2M mobile, the other a
major one with my 10-year old 1000D. I was greatly pleased with both, and
was treated like they wanted me to buy another Yaesu, which I likely will.
Not necessarily because they might make a better radio (although I think in
some cases they do), but because their repair and support service has been
outstanding, very much like my experience with Elecraft, in spite of the two
companies' vast difference in size.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the new Ten Tec, maybe at Dayton?
73, Jerry W5KP