[Towertalk] RE: 40M 4 Sq vs. 2 el Yagi at 70 ft

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: 40M 4 Sq vs. 2 el Yagi at 70 ft
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:07:58 -0700
> Wes Cosand wrote:
> Has someone done a careful comparison of these two antennas for
40 meters?

Hi Wes,
I have had a 40m 4 sq with Comtek box and 240 radials for 3 years and it works
very well.

Yesterday, I put a 40-2CD up at 50' on an AB577 and A/B'd the heck out of it to
US, EU, JA, & ZL.
The beam and 4 sq are about even on many stateside signals, the farther
stateside signals are 5-10 db better on the beam.
The beam is about 10db better on almost all dx. An SM reported the beam 15 over
S9, when the 4sq was S9. I purposely sought out very weak EU and JA signals, and
found many that could be heard but not copied on the 4sq, but were copied on the
beam.

That's just one night's comparison, but I think you'd rather have the beam @
70', I know I would. Maybe someday.
Having both is really neat for picking up signals from all over the place.
I noticed frequently that the QSB swings were less on the beam.

I think WC1M did the same thing and liked the beam.

Have fun with the new project.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV

http://yagistress.freeyellow.com