[Towertalk] RE: Double protection - climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: Double protection - climbing
From: K4BEV@aol.com (K4BEV@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:56:31 EST
In a message dated 12/17/02 23:07:22 Central Standard Time,
dick.green@valley.net writes:

> Can you tell us the length of each cowtail and the size rope? Did you make
> them yourself? Do they attach directly to the chest ring or via carabiners
> or gorilla hooks? Do you use carabiners or gorilla hooks for the tower end?
> What kind of knots are used for the attachment points?
>
> When you say "climb with the cowtails", are you using them to hoist your
> self up, or just alternately snapping them into place for safety? Do you
> use
> the cowtails to hold you when resting on the way up, or do you set up the
> hip positioning lanyard for this?

Tower is 25G, cowtails are 24 inches. Attached at the front D-Ring with an
eye splice around a thimble. Tower end is a ladder hook, also attached with
an eye splice, but no thimble. The ladder hook works ok, but doesn't lock;
I'm looking for some locking hooks. I did make the cow tails myself, with 1/2
inch, braided, synthetic rope.
I just snap them in alternately for safety. I don't use them to rest. I use a
positioning lanyard, or two, then. I'm only 53 and don't need to rest much
going up. Coming down is a different story though.... hi

Concerning the eye splices:
I took the first one that I made and dropped it over my pick-up's trailer
hitch, put a clove hitch around a tree and drove off. The rope broke, but the
eye end was still on the trailer hitch. After that I figured I could trust my
life and limbs to the eye splice.
So far, so good.

73, Don - K4BEV

multipart/alternative