[TowerTalk] klm kt34a to kt34m2 upgrade

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] klm kt34a to kt34m2 upgrade
From: kc2tn@comcast.net (Joe - KC2TN)
Date: Tue Jul 22 09:34:22 2003
I've rebuilt my KT34XA into the KT36XA using the M2 kit.

Other than allot of parts it went together well with no problems. The
biggest problem was getting the old element reinforcement tubes out. I used
a bit of penetrating oil and let the elements stand on end so the oil would
drip down in between the tubes.

The measurements worked out well and the overall VSWR was flatter on all
bands. Very pleased with the results.
I can send my graph to you direct.

Structurally the antenna is much better also.

I only replaced the two driven element "boom to element" clamps. I reused
the rest. Other than the two driven elements I only had to remove the
element tips for reconstruction per the kit. The boom and the remaining
parts of the elements stayed attached. I did clean and reattach the shorting
straps at the middle of each element.

I also used a bit of sealer on the "tube caps" to help keep the water out.
The old KT was subject to getting water in the tubes and this seems to have
helped so far. The new antenna has been up for 8 months now. The old antenna
was up for 20 years.

Joe - KC2TN
"If you're sure of everything,
        and it still doesn't work,
           one of the things you're sure of is wrong!"