[TowerTalk] Ground rod driver??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground rod driver??
From: aa6dx@pacbell.net (AA6DX)
Date: Fri Aug 15 01:54:17 2003
Hmmm ... should be on the TT archives.  Well .. here is the scoop I have
been sending now and then.. It WAS a sale item up until now .. a
Harborfreight special.  Like  $65 ?  -- and a fine piece of equipment, BUT,
old tymer style SDS, not SDS PLUS or like that, the type of drill bits it
uses.  (Kinda like running a 486 computer)  Since I am an Amateur Radio
operator, that did not bother me.  There are readily available, but pricey,
ground rod driver attachments for the SDS PLUS, etc... but very hard to find
for the plain jane SDS.  NOW, being a ham for most of my life, I know how to
be CHEEEP, too..   Here's how I made my driver adaptor.  You take an SDS bit
and SACRIFICE IT .. I cut mine off at the proper place with my air cut-off
tool.  Made the "hammer" face relatively smooth.  Then, I SACRIFICED a 3/8"
deep socket that fit the need .. .. .. drilled out the socket input, and
then placed it over the former SDS drill bit, now known as ADAPTOR .. and
went on to happy pounding.  If you are going to pound a bunch of these
rascals, I would suggest welding the sacrificial lambs together, but -- no
problems if not!
There are bunches of these SDS drills, and bit sets, available on the Bay ..
if you cannot get elsewhere.   And .. for the prices offered for the bits,
simply buy a bunch.
I have seen suggested that it would be simpler to stuff the rod into the
drill and pound away..  I do not agree with that, because you will in short
time ruinicate your prized hammer drill .. but, that is also a solution.  I
want to use my drill for some concrete drilling, too.
Cheers ..  look for my station operating portable from Trinidad Head
Lighthouse this weekend,   multiple operators.... AA6DX / Light ~ HF, and 6,
and 2.
CN71wb --  First time ham operation from that non-public site.
73, Y'all ..  Mark   AA6DX