Re: [TowerTalk] Pulley Recommendations?

To: wd3q@starpower.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pulley Recommendations?
From: John Farber <kg6i@direcway.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 20:21:38 -0700
From: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wes@attawayinterests.com>
<towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 8:08 PM

Based on my 15 years experience with pulleys up in the redwood trees, at 100
ft plus ft, I strongly recommend using "single blocks" made for sailboat
use. They are available at boating supply stores such as West Marine. They
type you want are made from stainless steel and Delrin. They come in all
types and sizes. The ones I use to suspend my FW 160 m loop have about a 1
1/4 in diameter sheave and a swivel top, and are made by Harkin..They cost
about $20 each. Use cheap pulleys from hardware stores at your own risk as I
guarantee you in a few years, those cheap plated pulleys will be rusted
tight and useless, and it is very expensive, as I'm sure you know, to hire a
tree climber every few years to replace rusted pulleys. I don't claim to
have come up with the idea of using sailboat hardware, I learned it from
others years ago, it made sense to me, and has proven to be very good
advise. GL, 73, John