Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor replacement

To: w2up@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor replacement
From: kb9cry@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:18:14 +0000
What I would do is to attach a pipe clamp (muffler clamp or actual piping
clamp) onto the mast above the thrust bearing.  Now the weight of the mast/ants
will be borne on the top of the bearing.  Then I would loosen the three bearing
screws; these only serve to center the mast in the bearing and will not (repeat
will not) hold up the weight of the assembly.  Then I would obtain a piece of
uni-strut (slotted steel angle) or some angle iron with pre-drilled holes
(available at Home Depot) and attach (u-bolts) that to the mast and to two of
the tower legs below the top plate.  This will keep the mast in the center of
the tower.  Then if you can remove the rotator; now that I write this that
angle iron holding the mast in the center may need to be loosened so you can
physically remove the rotator.  It should easily be removed out of an existing
opening in the braces without cutting any, which is highly not recommended.
Practice on the tower at the ground level to ensure this will happen.  Gd luck,
be safe, and an extra set of hands up the tower should make this happen real
quick like.  Phil  KB9CRY