Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Floating Ground Steel Building?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Floating Ground Steel Building?
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:51:21 -0400
> The slab itself is grounded, isn't it... This is what UFER ground
> depend on. There may be a moisture barrier between the slab and some
> of the ground, but the footings around the edges should be in contact > with the soil, and there's a fairly large contact area there.

As I understand the UFER system either the rebar is extended
beneath the slab well down into the soil or a second metal mat
is laid beneath the slab -- I don't recall the UFER ground depending
only on the marginal conductivity of moist concrete.

I am particularly concerned about the likely concentrated discharge at the anchor/mounting bolt shattering the slab.

I like this method for its simplicity:
http://www.scott-inc.com/html/ufer.htm

> It's Called a UFER ground...google it.  I placed my ground rods
> every 6 feet around my qounsit hut...ten in all, each tied to the
> building with a 2ft #6 copper jumper.

Have you observed any dissimilar metals reactivity between your copper
jumper and your steel quonset hut?

I'm sure I can get the dissimilar metal connectivity kits from Polyphaser, Texas Tower, or other sources but was wondering what
your experience has been.

Also, are you relying on mechanical connections only or did you
bond your straps to the hut and the ground rods using the explosive
weld method (I forget the brand name)?

Sounds as though I will need 12-15 rods in addition to the three
20 foot rods I have planned for the entry point.  Time to start
the search for an affordable source!

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e