Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <keith@dutson.net>,"TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] polyrod
From: "Tyler Stewart" <k3mm@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:14:13 -0400
Let's hope that is true today, but it certainly wasnt true with the first
batches of the stuff we put up.  It's been what...10 years or so since I put
together what may have been the first ever order from Polygon for hams and
it was a real PITA.  Some of the coils sat around for a few months and when
we went to move them out, etc., we found lots of fractures and some complete
breaks.  We had to trash a lot of it and they replaced it after we sent back
samples of the breakage.

If it were mine, I wouldnt let it set around a long time in a coil, no
matter what the sales people tell you.  It's got to be stressful on the
glass fibers and the resin, especially if it's left out in the sun as a
coil.  Black fiberglass gets very hot in the sun if it doesnt have air
circulating around it.  Add the stress of being in a coil...  no thanks!

The problem stems for the fact that glass fibers in compression are not very
strong, but very strong in tension, and the resin is just there to bind the
fibers together and adds no real strength.  So when you bend a fiberglass
rod, the fibers on the outside of the bend are forcing the inside ones into
compression.  Once the inside ones start to fracture in compression, it's
neighbors toward the outside start to fail as well... pretty soon you end up
with a major fracture or complete breakage...and you are trusting your life
to this stuff when you climb your tower.  It's just not a smart thing to
do...dont tempt fate!

Ty K3MM