[TowerTalk] replacement guys (was ...and C31XR)

To: "tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] replacement guys (was ...and C31XR)
From: "StellarCAT" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:17:29 -0700
I see phillystrand is still being hawked as the best overall solution for
guying where antennas
will be along the length of the tower... but I still prefer good old fashioned
steel.

The reasons - much less stretch (see K7NV's very nice analysis of same using
both EHS and
philly - no comparison!), no UV concerns (long term philly use is still not
available in great even
numbers), cost, and overall strength.

As for interaction - there is a treatise on the net by a gentlemen that I have
forgotten his name -
very well done overall on tower installations... he said in essence: for a
dipole to add gain one
has to CAREFULLY place another length of conducting material in the plane, at
the right distance,
and have the right length to JUST have a little gain... the guy wires are not
in the plane in most cases,
can be cut to be non-resonant,  and for the most part are a long distance away.

I will stick with steel!

g.